Skip to main content

Higher Education License Plate (HELP) Program

The number of grants made through this program, as well as the individual dollar amount awarded, are subject to sufficient annual appropriations by the Illinois General Assembly and the Governor.


There is no specific application - students who complete the FAFSA, meet the listed requirements and demonstrate financial need will considered.

Purchase a License Plate

Any student, faculty, staff, alumni, or parent can order these license plates. For each original plate issuance, renewal, or transfer of plates, the University will receive $25 for student scholarships. Visit the Alumni Office Web site for more information on purchasing a collegiate license plate.

Receive Scholarship Money

In order for a student to receive scholarship money from this fund, the student must be:

  • A US citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • A resident of Illinois
  • Enrolled at Illinois State University
  • Able to demonstrate financial need with the completion of the FAFSA
  • Maintaining satisfactory academic progress as determined by the institution (for renewal applicants only)
  • An undergraduate student and have not received a baccalaureate degree
  • If eligible, you may receive this grant for the equivalent of 10 semesters or 15 quarters of full-time enrollment.

About the Program

The Higher Education License Plate (HELP) Program provides grants to students who attend Illinois colleges for which the special collegiate license plates are available. The Illinois Secretary of State issues the license plates, and part of the proceeds are used for grants for undergraduate students attending these colleges.

The availability of grants is contingent on the number of license plates sold and the annual appropriation.